Many people are apprehensive about using chemical peels on their face. After all, we use the term ‘chemical peel’ in context of high-end spas and skin clinics. So, what’s a chemical peel anyway? Simply put, a chemical peel is basically a product meant to exfoliate your skin beyond a scrub and get rid of concerns like pigmentation, dead skin cells, and blackheads. In fact, you will be rather surprised to know many of the available chemical peels are actually gentler on your skin than the standard ready scrubs. In this simplified 101-kind-of guide, we are discussing more on chemical peels and kemisk AHA peeling.
Types of chemical peels
You will hear the words – AHA peels and BHA peels, especially if you are looking for at-home chemical peels. Both AHA (stands for alpha-hydroxy acid) and BHA (stands for Beta-hydroxy acid) work well to remove the dead skin cells, which often cause skin irritation and other problems. Every product is unique, and you may want to do a detailed research on the type of chemical peel you may want to try, depending on your skin type.
Tips for using chemical peels
- First and foremost, never use a chemical peel, or any product, without a patch test. You want to be sure that your skin is not allergic to the ingredients.
- A chemical peel should be used on clean, dry skin only, and if you have a pimple breakout or skin infection, wait for your skin to heel first.
- Always use the chemical peel as directed. Ideally, most chemical peels are to be applied for a maximum of 10 minutes. However, brand instructions and precautions may vary, so read the label very carefully.
- Do not go overboard with chemical peels. If you have skin that’s prone to breakouts, or your skin is too sensitive, talk to a dermatologist first. Also, don’t use a chemical peel too often – once in every 10 to 15 days is just more than enough.
- You have to be careful as you remove the peel. Follow the instructions, and if possible, always use lukewarm water. Ensure that you don’t use any random product after that, and allow your skin to breathe. Use a sunscreen though.
The good news is you can find a wide range of chemical peels in the market, and you can buy most brands online. Review all options before you invest in a new skincare product.